If you’re planning to sell your car and want to improve its appearance and value, follow these pointers to get it looking presentable and potentially even fetch a higher price.
The first impression matters
If you have walked into a dealership, you surely would have noticed the rows of shiny cars on display. You too can achieve this with your car. Here is how:
- Give it a good wax – If you feel your car is looking faded and you don’t want to spend a huge amount on a new paint job, you can give it wax for that new car shine. You can either do it at home or pay a professional a little extra to get the job done.
- Bright lights – Check and change any bulbs that are not working, and if you have cloudy headlights, give it a good scrubbing with toothpaste.
- Shine the wheels – Use an approved apply or spray on shining product that is meant for and gentle on the wheels. For that added new car shine, use either a microfiber cloth or 100% cotton terry towel.
The inside is just as important as the outside
Even though your car looks brand new from the outside, an unkempt interior can be a major turn off. To avoid this, you should:
- Vacuum the interior – Give your car seats and floor a good vacuuming to get rid of crumbs, sand, and other dirt.
- Wash your floor mats – Use all weather mats as they cover the floor from edge to edge and have an outer rim that traps liquid.
- Clean your seats – If your seats have noticeable stains, you can easily get rid of them using the right spray or cleaning materials based on the type of upholstery you have.
- Check the equipment: The windows, music system and air conditioning among other things should be in working order. With regular maintenance and the habit of fixing defaults as they happen will prolong the life of the equipment in your car.
Safety comes next
- Repair the windshield and replace the wiper – A clean and crack free windshield together with a functioning wiper will make your car look brand new as well as be perceived as safe to drive. Cracks and chips can disrupt a clear view of the road, so would a faulty wiper.
- The condition of the tires – Inspect your tires for signs of wear and tear like if the thread has gone bare, and are the tires wearing out evenly? Do you need to align the wheels? Changing out your old tires for new ones before the sale will increase value instantaneously.
- Brakes – Cultivate the habit of driving carefully and changing your brake pads as and when needed instead of having to change the whole outfit due to prolonged neglect.
Maintain your documents in an orderly fashion as being organized will show that you are a responsible owner who cares for the car. Being prepared will also save all parties time and help you get a better price for your car. The documents you should have on hand are the vehicle registration, insurance documentation and the bank’s no objection certificate if you took a loan and of course updated service records.
Now that everything is in order to sell your car, give MUV a buzz! We will handle everything for you.