It has been more than 2 months since the Movement Control Order (MCO) in Malaysia was first announced and we’ve been, well, surviving the lockdown. Since then, travel restrictions were put out and Malaysians were urged to only travel for essential matters only.
While flying cars have yet to be invented, unlike the Back To The Future films told us there would be – we have to admit that our cars have been an essential part of our quarantine, allowing us to do those never-ending grocery runs cause we cannot stop consuming food la and carrying those (ahem!) excessive amounts of toilet roll.
And because of that your car’s hygiene plays an important role in staying safe and healthy. Maintaining the cleanliness of your car is just as important as washing your hands. And TBH, it is super easy!
The bare minimum goes a long way
Taking care of your car’s hygiene really isn’t all that complicated but it has to be done with caution, especially when using harsh chemical products. Your car interior can be easily cleaned with frequent thorough wipe downs using alcohol-based disinfectant sprays you can purchase online and just any plain old (but, clean) rag lah!
Heat map of bacteria and germs hotspots in a car’s interior
Some key areas you should pay attention to can be seen in the heat map above as they are the interiors of your car which are most exposed to any bacteria.
- Steering wheel, paddle shifters and gear knob – these are the first places your hands go to in order to operate a vehicle.
- Doors and windows – including the handles and your window knobs too as well as the door pockets if you regularly store things there.
- The dashboard area – be thorough when wiping down this area as it is the most open and widest spot. Make sure to cover all the bases and get into every nook and cranny of your inner windshield, speedometer, glove compartments, air-conditioning and console unit area.
- Signal and wiper stalks – even if it’s just a touch or two, we still need to signal where we’re going, turn on the headlights and obviously the wipers if it’s raining so do give those a good rub down.
- Seats – Your seats are probably the most vulnerable area that could be exposed to bacteria and can easily be worn and torn if not taken care of properly. Fabric seats can be cleaned periodically with a hand vacuum (buy from Shopee now very cheap already!) and a light mist of disinfectant spray. However, with leather upholstery, appropriate cleaning solutions will be needed as harsher chemicals can cause breakage-lah, discoloration-lah and nobody wants that! To give it a little extra love, condition the leather with leather and vinyl restorer to maintain its quality.
- Boot – after picking up some things to bring home, make sure they are always placed in the boot to prevent the cabin (eg, rear seat, floor or front passenger side) from becoming possible contamination spots.
- The exterior – Who says you need to go out to wash your car exterior? All you need is your standard car soap, some sponges (and rags for drying) and running water – or as many pails of it you can get your hands. Back in the day, even the kiddos would get involved and help out their parents, which makes for some fun family time.
While you do your part in taking care of your car from home, here’s what we’re doing at muv to ensure all our cars are healthy and safe. Aside from our usual inspection routine, it is with pleasure that we introduce you to muvSanitised!
muvSanitised is a brand new initiative being introduced to ensure that your health and safety is the least of your worries when you buy a vehicle with muv. We are taking the steps towards ensuring vehicles in our possession are cleaned and disinfected regularly as soon as they enter our yard with thorough physical wipedowns and also antibacterial nano mist treatments. Nano misting is a deep-cleaning process that has been scientifically tested and proven to kill 99.99% of the germs and bacteria. It is also able to penetrate into all areas, not just surfaces, including the air conditioning ventilation system, the carpeting, seats and those hard-to-reach spots etc.
On top of that, when you do come for your dealer/viewing appointments, aside from ensuring our employees are masked and gloved while practicing social distancing measures. You will also be required to wear a mask and gloves as well, especially when physically interacting with the car.
These measures are taken, not to just ensure your health and safety, but also the health and safety of our team and other muv customers as well! At muv, we will always go the extra mile to make sure our customers’ health and safety is assured. We care for you.