The new Mitsubishi Triton 2019 facelift has officially launched by Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia (MMM) at Setia City Convention Centre on Friday, March 8, after having been previewed at the Kuala Lumpur International Motor Show (KLIMS) in November last year.
Available in five variants, this pick-up truck is priced from RM100,200 for the VGT MT to RM135,200 for the top-of-the-line VGT Adventure X AT (on the road, without insurance).
After 40 years of evolution, this generation of Triton is comprehensively redesigned from its exterior to interior, even expanded its list of active safety features and more importantly it is far more sophisticated with Super Select 4WD II drivetrain which comes with four selectable off-road modes.
The highlight of the drivetrain is Mitsubishi’s Super Select 4WD II system which allows 4WD driving on both tarmac and off-road. Instead of the usual 2H, 4H, and 4L modes, the Super Select 4WD II system allows to the driver to select between 2H, 4H, 4HLc, 4LLc – with Lc for locking centre differential. There’s also a selectable off-road mode with optimises the drivetrain for sand, mud, gravel, or rock terrain.
In terms of active safety systems, the range-topping Triton Adventure X now comes with driving assistance features such as Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM), Ultrasonic Mis-acceleration Mitigation System (UMS), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Blind Spot Warning with Lane Change Assist (BSW with LCA), and Auto High Beam (AHB).
It finally receives Mitsubishi’s Dynamic Shield look, for all the five variants, which is characterised by slim headlamps sitting atop of a big fog lamp-signal lamp cluster. Besides the Dynamic Shield look, the five variants also share the same 4N15 2.4 litre MIVEC turbodiesel with 181 PS and 430 Nm of torque at 2,500 rpm.
The engine is paired to either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission; both are new for the Triton range.
The entry VGT AT and MT variants come with:
- Easy Select 4WD (2H, 4H, and 4L only – without 4HLc or 4LLc modes)
- Halogen projector headlamps
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Halogen daytime running lights
- 2-DIN audio unit with MP3 and USB
- 4 speakers
- Manual control air-conditioning
- Dual airbags
- ABS with EBD and BA
- Electronic stability control (Active Stability Control, ASC)
- Hill Start Assist
The mid-range VGT Premium AT and MT add the following:
- 17-inch dual tone alloy wheels for MT, 18-inch for AT
- Easy Select 4WD adds selectable off-road modes (only for AT)
- Touchscreen infotainment with MP3, Bluetooth and USB
- 6 speakers
- Automatic air-conditioning
- Cruise control
- 4-spoke leather wrapped steering wheels with audio control buttons
- Rear air-conditioning vents
- Hill Descent Control (only for AT)
- Reverse camera
The highest specification Adventure X adds the following:
- Super Select 4WD (2H, 4H, 4HLc and 4LLc modes)
- Bi-LED automatic headlamps
- LED daytime running lights
- Automatic wipers
- Apple Car Play and Android Auto support
- Paddle shifters
- Leather wrapped seats
- Power adjustable driver’s seat
- Seven airbags
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM)
- Blind Spot Warning
- Lane Change Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Auto High Beam
- Ultrasonic Misacceleration Mitigation System
- Front parking sensors
All variants of the new Triton are fully imported (CBU) from Thailand, and each purchase entails a 200,000 km or five years warranty package (whichever comes first).
The five variants are priced as follows:
- Mitsubishi Triton VGT MT 2019: RM100, 200
- Mitsubishi Triton VGT AT: RM105, 990
- Mitsubishi Triton VGT MT Premium: RM112,500
- Mitsubishi Triton VGT AT Premium: RM118, 600
- Mitsubishi Triton VGT Adventure X: RM135, 200
*all the prices are on the road, without insurance
There are four colour choices: White Diamond, Black Mica, Sterling Silver, and Graphite Grey Metallic. White Diamond is available for all variants. Jet Black Mica is exclusive for Adventure X, Graphite Gray is only for VGT Premium, while Sterling Silver is available for the entry VGT variant.